Today, we discussed the research protocol and spoke about how I need to develop a structured approach to setting up the research study. These were the points raised in the meeting:
- Emailing the consent form beforehand
- Bring two copies of consent form to the meeting
- Is could write a mini-script to check everything off and make sure I follow all the necessary steps
- Don’t give participants too much to read
- Framing of the study tips them off about what the questions will be like and this means it’s not necessary to preview the interview questions in the study setup meeting
- I need a spare device
- I need to make notes about everything that happens in the session.
Marian reiterated that it is important to start with open questions in the final interview:
Starting with, “so how was it for you?”
Start open and slowly funnel down to discover anything that has been missed.
When it goes wrong – we need a protocol for issues