Originally I intended for the sprite catcher to look like a pocket watch or locket. Or be of that kind of size. It would have a display that slid around from the body and could be stored in a handbag or pocket. This first prototype below did not have space for a battery that would last for a week of use and so I had to redesign it.
To fit the battery I gave the main body section a skirt. The problem with this though was that the device became difficult to hold and was not ergonomic. Furthermore, the skirt looked a bit awkward and unrefined. Adding space for the battery seemed to compromise the aesthetics.
As such, I have now changed where the battery will sit in the device and have made the main section rounded at the bottom. Instead of bulging at the bottom end, where the user would hold the device, the bulge is now in the middle. This will make it easier to hold and, I hope, will make the design more pleasing on the eye.
To change the design like this it was necessary for me to learn to use a new piece of software – Fusion 360. Previously I had been using Autocad, which is also an autodesk piece of software. All of Autodesk resources are now going into improving Fusion 360 and Inventor (not available on Mac). Autocad has become old fashioned and is very difficult to use. Fusion 360 features parametric design. This makes it a lot easier to make changes retrospectively. I now have the knowledge to make CAD designs faster and which have more complex features.
Main section with rounded bottom
Top section, with space for battery
Hinge, which is now detachable
Another important change is that I will print a number panel separately from the main clock face. This means I can print the numbers in a different colour, so they will show up better!
Clockface with spaces to slot number panel in